The St. George’s Society of Toronto burial grounds in the historic St. James Cemetery honors our patrons and traditions of the past. As part of its mission to care and assist British and Welsh immigrants, the Society adopted the burial grounds in 1859 for the interment of indigent immigrants to Canada.
The grounds are still used by the Society today, and are marked by the St. George’s Society monument and plaque. The Society continues to supervise the use of the grounds, which is maintained by the St. James’ Cemetery under the terms of a perpetual care agreement, and by the care and interest of members of the Society.
Information on the use of the Burial Ground and the fees charged by the Society are available at the Society’s office. These fees are separate from those charged by St. James’ Cemetery and by funeral homes.